At the American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA), we’re helping shape a safer future. Our team helps members succeed through education and support to create innovative solutions to help their businesses thrive and make their operations more efficient. We are passionate about saving lives and property.
Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, AFSA was organized in 1981 to provide merit shop fire sprinkler contractors with training, consulting, communication, representation and other services--all of which have expanded and continue to grow. Membership is open to contractors, manufacturers, suppliers, designers, and Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs). AFSA represents companies and individuals in the United States and throughout the world.
Our Vice President, Engineering & Technical Services plays a key role both at AFSA and in the automatic fire sprinkler industry as a technical leader and expert in the field. AFSA members rely on the knowledge and skills of this individual to assist them in successfully carrying out their work. And our team is seeking an individual who wants to lead a talented technical team and be part of the executive staff entrusted with leading AFSA into its next successful ventures as it approaches its 40th year.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements a strategy for the Technical Department in alignment with our Association’s strategic plan.
- Supervises AFSA’s Technical Services’ staff to ensure operational success in delivering on our mission.
- Oversees informal interpretations process and reviews interpretations provided to members by AFSA’s Technical Services Department for accuracy.
- Lead role in identification and implementation of programs and services offered through the AFSA Technical Services Department, including Design School and Inspection, Testing & Maintenance (ITM) training.
- Presents and moderates courses, seminars, and webinars on various technical topics.
- Authors and reviews technical articles for AFSA publications, including digital media.
- Publishes position papers/technical positions, as needed.
- Builds professional network of experts with whom to achieve AFSA objectives and fire sprinkler industry goals; provides leads to AFSA staff for authors, speakers, reviewers, etc.
- Directs AFSA’s efforts on various national fronts relative to codes, standards, legislation, and regulations. Possesses strong knowledge of building codes and industry standards. Plays key role on editing/writing specifications and input on standards.
- Manages AFSA’s representation on national committees and panels, including NFPA, ICC, UL, etc. Serves on various committees as a key contributor representing the fire sprinkler industry.
- Prepares and presents technical reports to a variety of audiences, including the AFSA Board.
- Enhances AFSA’s reputation and the fire sprinkler industry as a whole through visibility as the “technical voice of fire sprinkler contractors.” Reflects Association’s values, including promotion of open shop, merit-based fire sprinkler contractors and other members whom we serve.
- Stays current on professional knowledge and competencies; increases value to AFSA by participating in relevant professional development opportunities.
Key Competencies & Skills:
- Competency to direct overall operations of the Technical Services Department and supervise its staff.
- Ability to inspire a technical team by leading with integrity.
- Is a team-player at all levels throughout organization.
- Commitment to excellence and professionalism; sets example for others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Possesses top-notch mathematical aptitude and engineering calculation skills.
- Servant-leadership mentality; passionate about helping members succeed.
- Computer-proficient (Microsoft Office Suite; fire modeling and other advanced software desirable).
AFSA Headquarters is a professional office located in Dallas, Texas. While this position does not require the individual to work from our Dallas HQ, it is preferable.
Some travel required, mostly domestic U.S.
Salary & Benefits:
A competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with education, skills, and experience. A generous benefits package will also be provided, with additional company perks, such as paid parking.
Location/Region: Dallas, TX (75201)