2742 – Wastewater Laboratory Chemist
Starting Range: $22.63/hr
This position is in the Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department.
Salary Grade: 50
Performs chemical and microbiological lab/field analyses and testing of ground/storm/ surface and solid wastewater samples utilizing Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Arizona Department of Health (ADHS) approved methods. Processes analytical data and prepares reports in compliance with licensure requirements of local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
An assessment may be administered.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in chemistry, microbiology, biology or other closely related science as defined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and two years of experience performing chemical or microbiological analysis in a laboratory setting. (Additional relevant education from an accredited college or university or experience may be substituted.) OR:
- Two years with Pima County as a Wastewater Laboratory Technician.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application. Preferred Qualifications: (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Professional experience, within the last five years, performing analysis using EPA methods on water and wastewater matrices, particularly in accordance with the Clean Water Act, AZPDES, and APP permits.
- Professional experience evaluating and revising laboratory standard operating procedures.
- Experience, within the last five years in laboratory raw data review.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and AdobePro.
- Experience, within the last five years performing or evaluating various types of laboratory instrument calibrations.
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems.
- Familiarity with laboratory safety.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: All positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application. Some positions, within this classification, may also require possession of a valid Arizona commercial driver license (CDL) with appropriate endorsements, as identified by the appointing authority. Failure to obtain/maintain the required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice: Some positions may require working rotating shifts, weekends and/or holidays. The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions may require the ability to: lift and carry up to fifty pounds; work with or in the presence of obnoxious odors; work with noxious or potentially hazardous chemicals, compounds or wastewater products. Safety training and equipment will be provided by Pima County. A post-offer physical will be required.
CLOSING DATE: Friday 09/06/2019 11:59 PM Arizona Time.
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 2019-01011.
About this company
The Human Resources Department partners with clients to recruit and retain a highly committed, highly competent, and results-oriented workforce by leading Pima County in the acquisition, maintenance, development and measurement of its human assets and by providing various employment-related services and activities. Services include: Recruitment and Selection, Classification and Compensation, E-Verify®, Personnel Records, Employment Rights, ADA Administration, FMLA Administration, Employee Benefits and Wellness, Management Training, Performance Management, HIPAA / Privacy Practices and Federal, State and local labor reporting.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ